by Rose Cole
A lot of people eat when they are stressed. I know I do, and I know I’m not alone!
I’ve got a great strategy for you that will help you calm down and release a lot of the stress that drives you to the fridge. It also helps to balance your cortisol levels, which is the hormone that gets released when you are stressed that tells your body to store fat. It’s a proven yoga breathing technique called “Alternate Nostril Breathing”.
By balancing your cortisol levels it helps to turn off the switch that is telling your body to store fat, and you can start using it for energy.
As long as you don’t mind looking a little silly (or if you do, you could find a private place to do it), this technique will absolutely help calm your mind. This technique slows your breathing, balances the left and right hemispheres of the brain, and gets you out of “fight or flight” mode.
It also sends a message to your mind and body that you are “safe”, which helps to prevent over eating and binge eating.
So, what’s the process?
1. First, pop a squat – on the floor if you can, or a chair is fine. The main thing is to make sure your back is straight. If you have trouble with posture, slide up against a wall.
2. Next, raise one of your hands to your nose and pinch your nose closed with your index finger and thumb.
3. The third step is to block off one nostril and breathe deeply through the open nostril. Take a deep breath and then let it go out of the opposite nostril.
4. Then breathe back through that same nostril that you just breathed out of, and let it out of the first nostril.
Basically you go back and forth like that for about 10 breaths to start, taking deep slow breaths (this is key), all the way in, and letting them out slowly, making sure to let all of your breath out completely.
– Rose Cole is a Holistic Nutrition Coach – I’ve gone to her, and sent several friends, and her grasp of how to balance your unique body situation (she’s also beautiful and one of the loveliest people I’ve ever met in my life) to feel better and lose weight is amazing. She publishes the Wellness with Rose eZine – and you can get it FREE just by going to her website. If you’re ready to lose your last 10-20 stubborn pounds without dieting, and increase your energy all naturally, go get your free subscription (she also has a video with this breathing technique you can watch)…
No related posts.