by Nora Wallace Walsh
A strong immune system can help you fend off the common cold and keep you healthy. Here are five ways to give your immune system a boost:
1. Get enough sleep. Too little sleep can compromise your immune system and its ability to protect you against sickness. Aim to get at least seven to eight hours of sleep a night.
2. Eat right. What you eat plays a big role in the correlation between overall health and strong immunity. Experts recommend loading up on vitamins B6 and B12 and eating a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and fish.
3. Exercise more. Over-exercising or exercising when you are starting to feel sick can actually weaken your immune system. But moderate exercise such as walking, jogging, or cycling three to four times a week is a great way to keep your immune system strong. If you are starting to feel sick and exercise makes you feel worse take the day off and rest.
4. De-stress. Stress can cause your body to secrete certain substances that weaken your immune system. Taking steps to reduce stress in your life will help your immune system and keep you healthy. Finding 10 minutes at the end of your day to relax and unwind might be what you might need to de-stress. Try yoga or massage. It is also important to say “no” more often when you are spread too thin.
5. Enjoy yourself. Finding things in life you enjoy is key to making your life happy and staying healthy. It might be as easy as listening to your favorite music, getting outdoors, or spending time with family or friends. It is important to find the balance of doing things you enjoy and things you have to do.
From Sarah: Nora has lots of helpful advice about how to keep your body in the best of health. You can find more at at her site